If we create a link to a product in a review, sometimes we may get paid a commission if a visitor to our site purchases the product. For more details, please see our Disclosure Policy.
More Acne Products
Want to place your
product here? Contact us
Now you can download this 70-page acne e-book for FREE here.
FREE ACNE E-BOOK
Exposed Skin Care
Skin ID Neutrogena
Top 5 Treatments
Treating acne would vary depending on the severity of the condition. Mild to moderate and severe cases are approached differently. Here is an outline of the most popular acne treatments available in the market today.
1. Benzoyl peroxide - One of the most reliable and effective acne treatments, most commercial products like Proactiv® and Exposed contains Benzoyl peroxide. It works by attacking the bacteria (propionibacteria acnes) that causes acne breakouts.
2. Sulfur - Has been used to fight acne for decades, most commercial products has sulfur as their active ingredient. Sulfur promotes the shedding of dead skin cells that could potentially block your pores and it also helps heal existing pimples and prevents them from coming back.
3. Salicylic Acid - Like sulfur, it also promotes shedding of dead skin cells This does not have any effect on the p. acnes bacteria though unlike Benzoyl peroxide, thus, it is only effective if being used regularly.
4. Resorcinol - Another popular ingredient of commercial acne medications often combined with sulfur, resorcinol prevents small acne lesions.
5. Accutane - Used for treatment of severe acne only. Isotretinoin composes accutane. it is an effective and powerful drug that treats most severe acne, even those that has been unresponsive to other treatments. Consulting a physician is adviced before using accutane since it can be potentially dangerous (specially for pregnant women) and has side effects like chapped lips, dry skin, nosebleed, muscle pain etc..
6. Acnezine™ - One of the most popular acne medication that not only treats acne and heals blemishes it also prevents future outbreaks. It also introduces anti oxidants to the body which helps in flushing out harmful toxins. Acnezine™ is a combination of 2 or more of the ingredients making it very effective.
7. Proactiv® - A popular product with lots of celebrity endorsers. It works wonders in clearing out pimples. It is also a combination of tretinoin components. It's a 3 step process that starts out with a cleanser, toner and repairing lotion.
8. ClearPores™ - A top rated product that helps clear acne in different ways. First, it attacks the p.acnes bacteria. Second, it promotes shedding of dead skin cells and it reduces excess oil or sebum.
9. Exposed - A product that functions similar to Acnezine™. It also fights the p. acnes bacteria, regulates the production of sebum, and unclogs pores. The manufacturer is so confident of this product that they offer a full year 365-day guarantee.
10. Laser Treatment – This treatment is for severe cases as well. Infected areas are targeted by laser light impulses attacking the p. acnes bacteria. A light sting, just like snapping a rubber band in your skin will, be present and a light swelling and redness in the treatments areas will be noticeable but it eventually fades out. Positive results can be seen in as little as 1 week or two sessions.
Those are a few of the popular products available in the market today, most of them can be bought over-the-counter. However before deciding which product to use better consult a dermatologist first in order to assess your condition. Different medications are given depending on the severity of the infection.